What I Read: April



April was full of fantasy. Faerieland and deep space look far more appealing right now than the reality of my couch during lockdown. 

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black...Sucked me in completely and established the rules of Faerieland with complete authority. Delightfully dark with a protagonist I staunchly rooted for. 

The Wicked King by Holly Black...Political machinations up the wazoo. Lush, sexy, and tense. 

The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black...This whole series was masterfully done. Gave me everything I wanted, while holding on to the story's integrity. 

The Lost Sisters by Holly Black...Kind of a letdown after the wealth of the series from Jude's point of view. A list of excuses and explanations, but no plot.

Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum...A critical reread of a favorite from childhood and an experiment in using Project Gutenberg's downloadable ebooks. Harder to be charmed by the naiveté knowing about Baum's rampant racism. 

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff...Took awhile to acclimate to the unusual format, but then it wouldn't let me go. Deeply addictive and intensely violent. 

Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff...New characters with stakes as high as the first installment. 

Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman...I continue to try to get into this, with little success. The immaturity of the characters undercuts the important social critique. 

The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black...Slow start, but strong finish. A taste of faerie while remaining firmly rooted inthe modern world. Deepening my devotion to Holly Black. 

Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl...A comfort reread of a favorite from childhood. Stands up as a silly and humorous fairy tale twist. 

The Wrath & The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh...Picking this up again after a previous attempt with the audiobook that I never finished. Highly readable and rich descriptions kept me going past what read to me as an inexcusably fickle protagonist. 

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas...Did not finish. Loved the premise, but feel that the writing needs to mature. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always Learning - Weekly Roundup 29.01.21