Book Review — This Book is Anti-racist


I'm in love with Aurélia Durand's illustrations. I want to tear them out and hang them on my walls. I won't, because this is a library book (which I've been lucky to have with me during lockdown) and because I want as many people as possible to have the chance to read this. 


The art is full of beautiful black and brown faces. The pages are absolutely bursting with color. 
As a whole, the book straddles a line between highly polished and a little homemade. It's is reminiscent of a zine that has grown up and taken over the school. 


This book is what it says on the tin: a manual on how to take action against racism. 
It explores what being "anti-racist" means, and how that's different from claiming to "not be racist."

As the subtitle indicates, the book includes "20 lessons on how to wake up, take action, and do the work." These lessons take the form of journal prompts and activities like reflecting on your own social identities and history.  

As a white reader, I found myself asking who this book is intended for. In my experience of moving through it, I felt the call to examine myself and heard the invitation to join in on the work, but I don't think this book is just for white people. Rather, we are invited to listen to the experiences of the Global Majority shared within and participate in changing the systems that oppress marginalized people and keep us all from being truly free. 

Buy this book for yourselves and for your libraries. 
The world needs it and needs us to pay attention to the lessons it can teach.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always Learning - Weekly Roundup 29.01.21